Production of the drum canteen and its various interpretations began in the early 1820’s when the new hand cranked machines used by period tin shops found the older kidney and moon shaped canteens couldn’t be produced. These simple yet well built canteens served the regular U.S. Army as well as the various state militia units well into the 1870’s. Seeing service in various conflict with natives from the Seminole War’s of the 1830’s to being used by Confederate soldiers during the American Civil War.
6 inches diameter by 1 ¾ inches wide.
Copied from the Massachusetts Historical Society